by: Peter Laursen, September '04
Label: Steamhammer SPV
Style: Heavy Rock
Master Of The Moon
“Master Of The Moon” is the title of the new DIO album, the successor to 2002’s “Killing
The Dragon". I have been a fan of his music since his first album “Holy Diver” from 1983, and my personal favourite
is “The Last In Line” from 1984. “Killing The Dragon” reminded me of his early albums, however “Master
Of The Moon” with more doomy and slow tracks reminds me more of
“Lock Up The Wolves” (1990), “Strange Highways” (1994) and “Angry
Track by track:
1. ONE MORE FOR THE ROAD - A real rocker… uptempo track, and one of my favourite songs on this album.
2. MASTER OF THE MOON - Then the titeltrack, slow and more dark. With a wonderful chorus that
grows to be one of the best on this release.
3. THE END OF THE WORLD - This track is in the same vein as “Master
Of The Moon”, and it starts with
a riff that reminds me of AC/DC’s “Back In Black”. This track is ok, but nothing
special. It ends with a great, great riff.
4. SHIVERS - I really like this track … it opens with a fantastic riff, and this riff goes on and on, but I don’t care
… because it’s a monster-riff. One of the best tracks. There is a great guitar solo as well.
5. THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING - We slow down a bit … this track is very dark and doomy,
and I must admit that I find it a little bit boring. Okay song, but nothing spectacular.
6. THE EYES - Dark and doomy and with a great hypnotic riff. You get the feeling, that you have heard it somewhere
before …- Not as good as “Shivers”, but an okay track.
7. LIVING A LIE - More uptempo and once again I get this feeling that I have heard it before.
This track contains a very weird sounding guitar solo. An OK track … but you have heard it all before.
8. I AM - Yes, again I get this feeling; - I have heard this before …
This is in my opinion the weakest track on this album. Nothing to say here
9. DEATH BY LOVE - What a riff! But I know this song … Don’t I? I’m sure I do!
10. IN DREAMS - This release ends with a great DIO track. But still I get the feeling that I
have heard it all before.
In my humble opinion “The Last In Line” is still the best CD from DIO.
- If you are into DIO you won’t be disappointed with this album, because “Master Of The Moon" is not a weak release,
but I’m sure that I’ve heard it all before.